Tuesday 2 November 2010

My Beloved McQueen Dress

At the age of 13 I fell in love with fashion. For about a year I had been reading British Vogue and Teen Vogue, and me and my mum decided that we would travel up to London and admire the beautiful dresses of the Bond Street retailers. I was dressed in fashion forward manner- BEST JEANS!! So after a quick stop in the lovely Patisserie Valerie near The Ritz, we headed off for my first foray into the world of high fashion. I had loved the craftsmanship and pure beauty of Alexander McQueen's designs, so when I saw his name above a large shop front I practically ran across the road (playing it cool obviously). After a few moments of looking around, I found this beautiful dress (above). I decided that I had to try it on, but clearly being a naive 13 year old, didn't know my size. The kind shop assistants (I really can't praise them enough), looked at me and decided my size, then directed me towards the fitting room. Trying it on very carefully, I appeared, and literally felt like a princess. My mother was speechless, I was smiling like I would never stop, and the assistants offered me shoes, to see what I would look like! They gave me skyscrapers, beautiful snakeskin courts/skyscrapers! They even let me look in the huge mirror in the store so I could see myself properly!

I think at that moment I had never been that happy before. McQueen (with the help of his very kind employees, who clearly knew we were not going to buy the dress) made me into the belle of a ball, and during a very hard time of my life, made me feel like I was actually beautiful. For that I am eternally grateful, and when I heard of his death I knew that fashion world had lost a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment